History of the House

Llangattock Park House was built in about 1838 for the Duke of Beaufort by T.H.Wyatt as a summer/hunting residence.
The Tenth Duke took a particular interest in Llangattock in the early 1900’s and from 1906 until about 1920 the house was used as a summer residence.
The house is a two storeyed, neo-Tudor house in local stone with Bath stone dressings and a gabled slate roof. An Octagonal entrance tower is sited at the front of the property, in which there is a high Gothic door where it is rumoured the Duke rode his horse into the entrance where he would warm up next to the hallway stove and have a stiff drink! The Beaufort Crest adorns the wall above the door.
The house has many historical features including gargoyles, a green man and griffins holding shields bearing the Beaufort Crest.
According to an estate map from the late eighteenth century the land belonging to the house covered an area of approximately 382 acres. The Brecon and Monmouthshire canal was built in the late eighteenth century which bisected the southern section of the park.
The entrance to the Park was originally from the Legar, next to the river Usk and ran through Beech woods which were noted for their exceptional beauty and included an avenue called ‘The Duchess Drive’.